February 7, 2018
12:00pm – 1:00pmCategory: All (General)
Meet in the Activity Center (Building D)
Mel Shultz invites you to be his guest for lunch to learn and discuss business and finance from a Judeo-Christian perspective.
February 2018 Forum
Everyone who attends the Financial Forum hosted by Mel Shultz is invited to join in our 2018 investment contest. Please follow the rules below:
- We all start with an imaginary $100,000 to invest between now and February 7.
- You can split up the money into several investments like stocks, mutual funds, Exchange Traded Funds, or bonds. Your investment must be easily tracked and listed on a public exchange like the NYSE or Nasdaq. You can invest conservatively, or take bold risks.
- Do not choose more than ten individual investments for your $100,000.
- You must list the current value of your investment and the amount you will be placing in each investment. You will also need to be able to track the increase or decrease in your investment by the end of the contest and report your gains or losses to us at that time.
Example: If you placed $20,000 in a home building company and the stock increases in value 10% between now and November 1, you will report a $2000 gain in that investment. If you place your remaining $80,000 in bonds and the value goes down 10% between now and November, you will have lost $8,000 in the bond market, and have a net return on your $100,000 of -($6000).
- NOTE: Each investment needs to be tracked publicly (i.e. no land or private real estate).
- Mel will choose the ten investments he deems wisest. At a future Forum he will explain why he choose each investment. If your specific investment is chosen, you will be recognized at an upcoming Forum. If your $100,000 imaginary investments outperform the investments from our other contestants by November 1, 2018, then the church or charity of your choice will be rewarded with a gift from Mel of $10,000.
Don’t be shy about making a mistake, nor reluctant to enter this contest. You only lose if you don’t try, and you may be a better investor than you realize. All entries need to be turned in at the Forum February 7.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A PRINTABLE ENTRY FORM.
Print and fill out the form, then bring it to the February 7 Forum.
If you plan to attend, we ask that you register for lunch at least two days in advance (we want to make sure we order enough food):